Now that spring has arrived, it is time to take your yacht out of winter storage. If you’re going to use the yacht during the upcoming season, you’re likely going to have to do some maintenance.
Storing your yacht can always lead to wear and tear. When you take the yacht out of storage, you need to make sure that you inspect it for seaworthiness. If you use an unseaworthy boat, you place yourself at an insurance risk. If you take passengers out in an unseaworthy craft, your liability risks skyrocket.
Failing to check your vital systems at the beginning of the season could cause complications. Your yacht insurance company could deny your claim because it finds that you negligently handled your craft.
Inspect these crucial systems before you take on passengers at the beginning of the season:
- Have all your lifesaving equipment in order. Check your life jackets, first aid kits, and life rafts at the beginning of the season. Replace or repair the items that show signs of damages.
- Test all your emergency warning systems. These include fire alarms, emergency locks, flares and other safety systems.
- Make sure your navigational warnings work correctly. Check your lights, flags and fog horns for any signs of damages. Also run a full systems check of your navigational system.
- Ensure that your engine and rudder function appropriately. Make sure you keep these areas secure and off-limits to passengers.
- Keep up-to-date emergency procedures and instructions in passenger areas.
- Check your boats electrical and pumping systems. Damages to these systems can be dangerous, not to mention an inconvenience to passengers.
- If your yacht carries any appliances, like microwaves or TVs, make sure they still work.
- Keep the boat’s structure clear of obstructions and damages. You don’t want passengers to injure themselves while they are on the boat.
- Make sure that passengers can embark and disembark the craft safely. Check your mooring systems, your gangways and the safety of docks.
- Thoroughly clean and disinfect your passenger area. This will help wipe away any dust, mold or mildew buildup from the winter.
- Make sure you post appropriate off-limits notices throughout the boat. This will help keep passengers away from potentially dangerous systems like sails, pumps and generators.
If you’re going to take passengers into your yacht for a new season, there are things you have to do first. By inspecting your yacht, you can protect passengers and yourself from insurance liabilities.
We can help you get a yacht insurance policy at an affordable price. Get a fast, free Dallas yacht insurance quote right now. Give us a call at 972.712.8000 for more information.